Joining Footy

October 24th, 2011 etmasi13

Sorry I’m a little delayed in this post! This past week I had both my secondary and primary tutorials so it was twice the work. But it was awesome- I wrote the first 10 1/2 pages of my ‘novel’ (that is incredibly surreal to say) and I got some great feedback from my tutor. I’m also getting more into the groove of the type of work here- I found myself writing 2,000 words in a total of four hours (non-consecutive. but still.) I think I might be sorta gettin’ the hang of this.

In other news, football (soccer) has really picked up and I (despite my lack of athletic skill with field sports and my horrendous fitness level) decided to stay on the team. And I’m so glad I did. At first I was so reluctant to join since past memories of soccer include kicking the air instead of the ball and scoring into my own goal. Ouch. And let’s just say I wasn’t much better my first footy practice. I was pretty horrendous. But I luckily came with a few friends that made me feel like I wasn’t in it alone. And the girls on the team are absolutely fantastic. Not to mention our coach, Jeff, another Oxford student, is the most encouraging guy ever.

We had our first match this past Friday and I was so nervous. During the warm-up before the game, I ran around in circles managing to never steal the ball or making a decent defensive move. So I basically walked into the match wide-eyed and terrified. But over the course of the match, I really found my groove– and I remembered the awesome feeling of competition. Now, that doesn’t mean I played well- it was struggle city. But I’m really proud that I tried and, as cheesy as it sounds, I didn’t give up. Best part? We won! I haven’t felt the sense of team comradery in a long time.

Now I’m really determined to improve and stick with the team and all the lovely girls that are on it.  Rowing is still on the horizon but I’m loving football in the meanwhile– so much so, I might continue it and do rowing. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves.